Makes: Preparation for a variety of uses. Cooking time: 15 minutes.
— 750 grams finely chopped mushrooms (or mushroom stalks and trimmings)
— 50 grams butter
— 75 grams finely chopped shallots or onion
— 5 grams finely chopped parsley
— salt and pepper
(1) Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the chopped shallots or onion and cook without colouring.
(2) Add the chopped mushrooms, cover with a lid and stew for the prescribed time, allowing the liquid from the mushroom to reduce in quantity until the mushrooms are fairly dry.
(3) Add the chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
(1) Duxelles is a mushroom preparation which is used in the production of many other dishes such as Delice of Plaice Cubat, Stuffed Tomatoes and Stuffed Eggplant.
(2) The addition of white breadcrumbs will produce a firm mushroom stuffing.
(3) For future use, transfer the duxelles mixture to a porcelain, stainless steel or plastic basin and allow to cool. Cover with cling film and keep in a refrigerator at 8°C.