Makes: 10 portions. Cooking time: 2 hours. Oven temperature: 175°C.
— 50 grams
— 100 grams
— 1½ kg prepared red cabbage coarsely shredded
— 1 dl vinegar
— 1 bouquet garni
— 1 muslin bag containing peppercorns, juniper berries, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves.
— 450 grams bacon fat
— 250 grams cooking apples peeled and diced
— 10 grams sugar
— 20 grams salt
(1) Place the butter into the saucepan in which the cabbage is to be braised. Add the sliced onions and allow to gently cook but do not color.
(2) Season the prepared cabbage and place in the pan. Add the vinegar, bouquet garni and the bag of herbs.
(3) Cover the surface with the bacon fat, buttered greaseproof paper and a lid.
(4) Braise for about 1¼ hours.
(5) Remove from the oven and add the apples and sugar.
(6) Continue to braise for a further 30-45 minutes until cooked.
(7) Remove and discard the bacon fat and the bag of herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(8) Serve slightly dome shaped in a vegetable dish.