Makes: 10 portions. Cooking time: ½ hours. Oven temperature: 180°C.
— 1½ kg boiled ham with skin removed and trimmed of surplus fat
— 1 liters demi-glace sauce
— 2 dl madeira
— 100 grams sugar
(1) Place the ham in a deep sided saucepan just large enough to hold it.
(2) Add the madeira, cover with a lid and place in the oven for approximately 1 hour, basting frequently.
(3) Remove the ham and place on a shallow sided dish. Sprinkle the surface of the ham with the sugar and place it back in the oven until the outer surface caramelizes. (This is termed glazing.)
(4) Add the sauce to the cooking liquid, bring to the boil and skim.
(5) Pass the sauce through a conical strainer without using pressure.
(6) Re-boil the sauce, skim and season to taste.
(7) Carve into thin slices and neatly arrange them overlapping on a flat dish. Coat with the sauce and serve.