Makes: 10 portions. Cooking time: 8 minutes. Fat temperature: 175°C.
— 10 hard boiled eggs
— 800 grams sausage meat
(1) Divide the sausage meat into even portions.
(2) Completely enclose each egg in the sausage meat, moulding it to the shape of a large egg.
(3) Coat with flour, eggwash and breadcrumbs.
(4) Deep fry until cooked (see Note).
Provided the outer shell of sausage meat is not too thick it should be cooked when colored to a golden brown.
Scotch eggs may be served cold with an accompanying salad or hot with an appropriate sauce, e.g. Tomato Sauce or Devilled Sauce. It is usual to cut them in half lengthways. They may be presented on a plate with a sprig of parsley or served on an oval flat dish with a dish paper.
Assessment of the completed dish:
(1) The outer coating should be crisp and evenly coloured with the egg set in the centre of the sausage meat.
(2) The egg should look fresh and moist with no dark or black line surrounding the yolk.
(3) The sausage meat should be cooked through.