Makes: 1 liter. Cooking time: 30 minutes.
75 g butter or oil
100 g carrots
100 g onion
75 g celery
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
1 dl dry red wine
1 dl venigar
1 liter demi-glace
20 crushed peppercorns
20 g butter
seasoning of salt and pepper
(1) Heat the butter in a shallow sided pan. Add the vegetables and herbs and fry until brown in colour.
(2) Add the red wine and vinegar. Boil and reduce until it forms a slightly sticky glaze.
(3) Add the brown sauce and gently simmer for a few minutes. Add the crushed peppercorns and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, skimming the surface continuously.
(4) Strain through a conical strainer into a clean pan, reboil, skim and season to taste.
(5) Complete the sauce at the moment of serving with knobs of butter.
May be served with game such as hare and venison.