Makes: 10 portions. Cooking time: 1½ hours. Oven temperature: 220°C reducing to 180°C. Temperature at center of joint: 63-65°C.
— 4 prepared best ends of lamb
— 200 grams butter
— 50 grams chopped shallots
— 250 grams white breadcrumbs
— 10 grams chopped parsley
— 6 dl roast gravy
(1) Roast the best ends as in Roast Sirloin and transfer them to a clean roasting tray fat side uppermost.
(2) Melt the butter in a shallow sided saucepan, add the shallots and cook without coloring. Add the breadcrumbs and parsley and combine. Season to taste.
(3) Cover the fat side of the joints with the mixture, press gently and mark trellis fashion.
(4) Return to the oven to allow the surface of the covering mixture to color a light brown.
(5) Arrange the joints on a flat oval dish. Garnish with watercress and serve the gravy in a sauceboat.
The best ends may also be carved into portions and served with the cutlets arranged criss-cross fashion on the dish, with cutlet frills.