Vegetables may also be baked in the form of souffles and are generally served as a savory item towards the end of a meal. They are cooked in special porcelain dishes, usually for a set number of portions. They are cooked in a bain-marie in the oven and are served in the same dish that they are cooked in.
Makes: 4 portions. Cooking time: 30 minutes. Oven temperature: 200°C.
— 2 dl Béchamel
— 2 egg yolks
— 50 grams Spinach Purée
— 3 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
— salt, pepper and nutmeg
— 25 grams melted butter (for the mould)
(1) Whisk the egg yolks into the warm béchamel.
(2) Incorporate the purée using a wooden spatula, season to taste and allow to cool.
(3) Stiffly beat the egg whites and fold into the mixture in two stages until all is incorporated.
(4) Butter a 15 cm soufflé mould. Pour in the mixture until the mould is approximately two-thirds full.
(5) Cook in the oven in a bain-marie for the prescribed time.
(6) When cooked serve at once.