Makes: 10 portions. Cooking time: 40 minutes.
— 2 dl olive oil
— 750 grams sliced onions
— 750 grams eggplant cut into 1 cm dice
— 500 grams red pimento, pips removed, cut into thin slices
— 500 grams courgette cut into 1 cm dice
— 3 cloves crushed and chopped garlic
— 500 grams peeled, pipped and diced tomatoes
— 6 coriander seeds
— 5 grams chopped parsley
— 20 grams salt
(1) Heat the oil in a shallow sided saucepan. Add the onions and cook but do not allow them to color.
(2) Add the eggplant, red pimento, courgette and garlic. Cover with a lid and allow to gently stew for approximately 30 minutes.
(3) Add the tomatoes and coriander seeds and season to taste.
(4) Allow to gently stew for a further 10 minutes until all the vegetables are soft but on no account mushy.
(5) Complete by adding the chopped parsley and basil.
(6) Serve slightly dome shape in a vegetable dish.
This dish may also be served cold as part of an hors-d’oeuvre.