Makes: 10 portions. Cooking time: 1½ hours. Oven temperature: 180°C.
— 10 x 150 grams steaks for braising (about 1 cm thick)
— 2 dl dripping or oil
— 250 grams seasoned flour
— 750 grams sliced onion shallow fried
— 100 grams butter
— ½ liter beer
— 1½ liters brown stock
(1) Heat the dripping in a shallow sided saucepan, preferably a frying pan.
(2) Pass the steaks through seasoned flour and fry until a light golden brown on both sides.
(3) Drain off any fat and transfer the steaks to a shallow sided saucepan or a special braising pan.
(4) Add the cooked onions and pour in sufficient stock and beer just to cover them.
(5) Bring to the boil and skim. Season, cover with a lid and braise in the oven until cooked.
(6) Place the steaks into a clean saucepan.
(7) Boil the sauce and skim as necessary to remove all traces of fat and grease.
(8) Correct the consistency of the sauce so that it just coats the meat and, if necessary, adjust the color. Season to taste.
(9) Add the sauce to the steaks.
(10) Serve the steaks neatly arranged in an entrée type dish coated with the sauce and onions.