Makes: 10 portions. Cooking time: 1 hour. Oven temperature: 175°C.
— 1 kg peas
— 50 grams button onions
— 1 x 150 grams shredded lettuce
— 10 grams sugar
— 1 liter white stock
— 50 grams butter (for thickening when cooked)
(1) Place all the ingredients into a shallow sided saucepan and bring to the boil.
(2) Cover with buttered greaseproof paper and a lid.
(3) Braise in the oven for the prescribed time until cooked.
(4) When cooked lightly thicken the vegetable liquid by adding knobs of butter, incorporating them by shaking the pan with the peas.
(5) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
A mixture of even amounts of flour and butter (Beurre Manie) may be used as the thickening agent.